Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

January Music: The Decemberists

The Decemberists The King Is Dead
I was a tad more daring with my music choice for the month. I tend to stick to safety music and listen to the same styles instead of branching out. However, I hadn't heard any of the songs The Decemberists new album The King Is Dead until I bought it.

Knowing nothing about the album other than it's title and having heard only one song from this band a few years back, I had no idea how country infused it would be. Generally, country music makes me cringe in a way no other genre can. I'm fairly sure this stems from going to Dollywood twice a year from age five to 18. But when done well, country music can be enjoyable.

Ironically the song that has become a favorite, "All Arise!," was one that I wanted to skip the first time I heard it because of the strong country-esque sound. That being said, this album reminds me of the Gin Blossoms. Has anyone else noticed how similar they sound? Or maybe it's just me.

Best songs: "Don't Carry It All," "January Hymn,"* " All Arise!"

*- Thanks to this song and The Avett Brothers' "January Wedding," I now have a sense of urgency to find a boyfriend who wants to marry me in January. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...what's up?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...