Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

A Pale Girl's Guide to the Beach

Last night, my BFF/former roommate Kristin and I hopped in a car and headed to the beach to hang out today with my current roommate Sarah. But I have to admit that while I love everything the beach stands for, it can be a pale girl's nightmare. Through many failed attempts at warding off sunburn, I've finally learned that there's no such thing as too much coverage at the beach. So here's what I use:




(From left to right)

  1.  Olay Complete Moisturizer, SPF 15 : I use this everyday underneath my makeup and apply it a little more liberally before heading to the beach.
  2.  Banana Boat Sport Performance Ultra Mist Spray Sunscreen, SPF 50: Yep, you read that right. SPF 50. I apply this to my back, arms, and chest because those tend to be the places that get burned first. Even though I tend to avoid anything in an aerosol can, spray sunscreen is just one of those things that I can't give up. It's a little less awkward to have someone spray you with sunscreen than rub it on you. 
  3.  No-Ad Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30: For my ears, neck and when my moisturizer isn't quite strong enough.
  4.  Burt's Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm: Because lips get burned too. And that little hint of red doesn't look bad either.
  5.  Banana Boat Deep Tanning Oil Spray, SPF 4: This is probably the riskiest part of my sun routine. My legs don't often get sunburned, so I usually put tanning oil on them in the hopes of one day getting some sort of color. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's ever going to happen.
  6. (Cheap) Glam Sunglasses: The bigger the sunglasses, the more of your face they'll block from the sun. Xhilaration Round Sunglasses in Tortoiseshell, $12.99 at Target.
  7.  A giant tote bag : Pale girls  have to carry a lot of stuff to the beach, so we need a bag big enough to hold it all. Gap Striped Straw Tote, $53.96.





P.S. Some other beach essentials:


+ A dress with sleeves for when you need some coverage
+ A book to keep your mind off the heat
+ A hat to block the sun
+ A big towel to stay off the sand

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...what's up?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...