Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Books You Shouldn't Read in Public.

I am a huge fan of coffee shop reading. It's noisy enough in there to create a dull roar and when my eyes need a break, I can do some prime people watching. Sometimes when I read a really funny book, I have to stay at home to avoid those wondering stares from fellow coffee shoppers who wonder what sort of drug was placed in my iced coffee to make me smirk and laugh when I'm reading. Here's a rundown of the books that are better read at home:



1. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicholson, by Louise Rennison


This book is the diary of a 14-year-old girl who has a cat named Angus and is more or less obsessed with snogging. I'm fairly sure guys wouldn't understand a bit of this one but ladies, this was us in middle and early high school. Apparently British girls are no more mature than we were and it's a universal fact that we often wished our parents were invisible during this stage of life.  




2. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding


Good golly. I'm a decade late on reading this but it was worth the wait. If you've ever suffered through unrequited love, done something embarrassing, worn the wrong thing, or made New Year's resolutions that were impossible to keep, then this book was made for you.  Again, British humor at its finest.




3. About A Boy, by Nick Hornby


If this book had been written by an American author, I doubt it I would have put it on the list. But if you haven't figured it out yet, I REALLY like the way British authors write and the way British people speak. It's a great plot, very entertaining, but what really pulled me in was the dialogue between characters. You can feel uncomfortableness oozing out anytime a conversation is happening...or when a conversation should be happening.


4. My Booky Wook, by Russell Brand


Okay, so here's the deal with this one: I like Russell Brand. I think he's attractive and his British accent only reinforces that. A lot of people don't like him and that's okay...but they probably shouldn't read this book. It's almost written in a different language- one that was coined by a British comedian who finds his past of drug and sex addiction hysterically funny. Disclaimer: This book will make you blush just as much as it makes you chuckle.




5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain


I know this book is offensive with its language but it's also incredibly funny. The part where Huck dresses up as a girl to get food will make you gasp for air. No, really, it will. 




6. The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible, by A.J. Jacobs


In the introduction to the book, Jacobs describes himself like this-
"I’m officially Jewish but I’m Jewish in the same way the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant." 
In case the title didn't give it away, this book is about one guy who decides to live by all the Bible's rules for a year. He makes a master list only to discover there are more than 600 rules he has to live by. Some make sense (the Ten Commandments) and others seem downright bizarre (not wearing clothes of mixed fibers).  I would venture to say this is the funniest piece of nonfiction ever written. So basically you will look like a fool laughing by yourself while reading and then when people see the title of the book, they will think one of two things: 1- that you think the Bible is funny, which is dangerous here in the Bible belt, or 2- that you are some sort of Jesus freak. 


That's all I've got for now! I make no promises that you will feel smarter after reading these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...what's up?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...